College Admissions Consulting
State-of-the-art Educational Strategies
College is among the most important steps toward your future. I can support you through every step in that process, from preparing for the SAT/ACT to selecting and applying to the right colleges to evaluating financial aid offers and choosing the college that’s right for you. You can be confident that, with the right preparation, you will succeed!
In the competitive world of college admissions, you need to stand out!
Students who are admitted to top schools are not lucky. They are diligent, hardworking and–most important–well prepared!
I help students before, during and after the college admissions process. I work with you to be fully equipped every step of the way–from preparing for the reading/writing/science portions of the SAT/ACT, exploring college options and completing applications to writing standout college essays, acing interviews and evaluating offers of admission.
My approach to college admissions stems from proven strategies developed over many years in the field and continuous involvement in the changing landscapes of the UC system, Ivy League and a wide range of other schools. My in-depth knowledge of the college admissions process and expertise in counseling enable me to approach students from multiple perspectives and provide the skills, guidance and information they need at every turn.
I empower you to achieve your own success!
“College essay writing is truly an art. Barbara Shore’s “Art of the College Essay” tutoring provided our son, Jake, with the guidance he needed to produce succinct, imaginative, meaningful essays that captured his unique personality and translated his accomplishments into one-of-a-kind works of art! More …
“Having a private college counselor for our high school senior proved to be the best investment and experience we could hope for. Barbara Shore really got to know our son and his particular needs in regards to finding a small learning environment for college. More …
“As a mother of four children who have all needed tutoring at one time or another, I look for a tutor who can provide not just tools for learning but a deeper connection to my child in order to provide motivation and encouragement. Barbara has a heart of gold and a mind like a steel trap. More …
“Barbara Shore provided language arts tutoring for our daughter, McCall Barbara is such an important part of our girls’ education. She has worked with their individual strengths and weaknesses to help them develop into stronger, more confident readers and writers. The improvement has been tremendous and we are so thankful for the caring support she provides.”
She also knew that Barbara was on her team because Barbara even offered to be available by phone or to skype with McCall if she needed it. The proof of Barbara’s methodology was apparent when McCall arrived home at the semester break grinning from ear-to-ear and announcing, “I got an A in English—thanks to Barbara!” More …
I want you to know that I’ve been accepted to all eight of the colleges that I applied to! UNR, UC Davis, UC San Diego, Cal Poly, University of San Diego, and my top three right now- UC Santa Barbara, San Diego State (Weber Honors College!), and UCLA!!!! Thank you for ALL your help. I could not have done it without you!!
Thank you again!
I work with students in person from across Sonoma, Marin and Napa Counties, focusing on the following communities: Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Sebastopol, Sonoma, Napa, Penngrove, Rohnert Park, Cotati, San Rafael, Novato, Nicasio, San Anselmo, Ross, Fairfax, Corte Madera, Larkspur, Mill Valley, Marin City, Sausalito, Tiburon and Belvedere. High schools in my service area include:
- Petaluma High School, Petaluma, CA 94952
- Casa Grande High School, Petaluma, CA 94954
- St. Vincent de Paul High School, Petaluma, CA 94952
- Valley Oaks High School, Petaluma, CA 94952
- Analy High School, Sebastopol, CA 95472
- Credo High School, Rohnert Park, CA 94928
- Cardinal Newman High School, Santa Rosa, CA 95403
- Montgomery High School, Santa Rosa, CA 95405
- Maria Carillo High School, Santa Rosa, CA 95409
- Sonoma Academy, Santa Rosa, CA 95404
- Marin Academy, San Rafael, CA 94901
- Rancho Cotati High School, Rohnert Park, CA 94928
- Tech High, Rohnert Park, CA 94928
- Santa Rosa High School, Santa Rosa, CA 95401
- Summerfield Waldorf High School, Santa Rosa, CA 95401
- Sonoma Valley High School, Sonoma, CA 95476
- SoloQuest School & Learning Center, Sonoma, CA 95476
- Tomales High School, Tomales, CA 94971
- Novato High School, Novato, CA, 94947
- San Marin High School, Novato, CA 94945
- Redwood High School, Larkspur, CA 94939
- Tamalpais High School, Mill Valley, CA 94941
- Marin Catholic High School, Kentfield, CA 94904
- The Branson School, Ross, CA 94957
- San Rafael High School, San Rafael, CA 94901
- Terra Linda High School, San Rafael, CA 94903
- Sir Francis Drake High School, San Anselmo, CA 94960
- Napa High School, Napa, CA 94558
- Vintage High School, Napa, CA 94558
- The Bay School, San Francisco, CA 94129
Private college counseling starts as early as 9th grade for those students who want ongoing, personalized, unlimited-time access. Barbara Shore has worked with high school students of all ages to plan and launch their college careers. She also consults with college students who have questions about choosing classes, summer internships and transfer option.
Barbara’s personalized approach to SAT/ACT tutoring produces solid results. With proven techniques and a customized study plan, you will boost your scores and expand your college options.
Preparing you to put your best foot forward during the college admissions process. Work one-on-one with me to develop a strong college list, create activity and achievement inventories, complete all applications, prepare multiple standout essays, develop acceptance strategies, and practice for interviews with college admissions staff and/or alumni.